Position: Full Stack developer
Reporting to: Director of Software
Founded in 2012, SunCulture’s Vision is to build a world where people take control of their environment in rewarding and sustainable ways. SunCulture does this by developing and commercialising life changing technology that solves the biggest daily challenges for the world's 570 million smallholder farming households. We are the largest distributor of solar water pumps / solar irrigation for smallholder farmers in Africa and were selected by Fast Company as one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies in 2021. Here is a good explainer video recently made by CNBC. Over the last 5 years the company has grown significantly and now employs 400+ people around the world.
About the role
The key responsibilities include designing, executing, and releasing software solutions to manage existing or
new requirements by Business Users within agreed deadlines. This includes coordinating with other business
units and managing the software engineering and BI team members. This role requires you to have exceptional
knowledge of systems architecture, cloud platforms, and coding best practices when it comes to delivering
Your core responsibility is to ensure the completion, maintenance, and updating of SunCulture’s software and BI
systems. You will take full ownership of technical management, system design and releasing solutions
according to high-quality coding standards. You are expected to be the voice when it comes to forwarding our
solutions and push us towards a world-class application architecture and position our digital products as high-value add-ons to our physical products.
Be the senior developer/tech lead managing a team of 3-4 technical resources
Transition SunCulture to the next level of software by better design and usage of a microservice-based
Put in place coding best practices and standards that help to achieve a high coding velocity
Lead the design and implementation of our strategic initiative
API based decision-making layer and the data warehousing that powers it
Mobile empowered customers and field staff, by making our tools, mobile, integrated and compatible with our rural clients
Transition our solar devices from a read-only IoT interface to a true smart device
Expand our reach into new markets either directly or through distributors, by supporting an array of different business models that are compatible with our core services.
Integrations with 3RD Party Applications.
Be a strong voice in how technology is shaping SunCulture
Represent the company in pan-Africa technology and digital agriculture events
Does this sound like you?
● 4+ years of experience managing several tech resources as a senior developer
● High performing experience with the technologies that we have within our stack. They include but
are not limited to:
○ AWS for infrastructure
○ Micro servicing technologies (we use a mix, but mostly AWS Lambda)
○ React JS
○ PostgreSQL, Mysql
○ ELK (Elasticsearch, Logstash, Kibana)
○ Git Action for release orgistration
● Agile with the ability to work in a fast-paced tech environment
● Masters Degree in Information, Communication and Technology, or equivalent experience
● Outstanding leadership and organizational skills
● Excellent communication and problem-solving ability
● Able to work in a dynamic environment with immense pressure that requires the ability to solve problems
● Comfortable with ambiguity and able to plan, be organized, and adhere to deadlines
● Proactive, collaborative, organized, curious, problem solver with a “can-do” attitude
Please apply online via this job portal. We respond to all candidates; however only shortlisted candidates will be interviewed.
SunCulture is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations, and ordinances.