Position: Legal & Compliance Officer
Reporting to: Risk & Compliance Manager
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Founded in 2012, SunCulture’s Vision is to build a world where people take control of their environment in rewarding and sustainable ways. SunCulture does this by developing and commercializing life-changing technology that solves the biggest daily challenges for the world's 570 million smallholder farming households. We are the largest distributor of solar water pumps / solar irrigation for smallholder farmers in Africa and were selected by Fast Company as one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies in 2021. Here is a good explainer video recently made by CNBC. Over the last 5 years the company has grown significantly and now employs 400+ people around the world.
About the role
The Legal and Compliance Officer will be responsible for monitoring all legal affairs within SunCulture. The role holder will handle both internal and external legal concerns and ensure that SunCulture is compliant with all the regulatory requirements.
• Draft, review, vet and manage legal documents and instruments including but not limited to contracts, service level agreements, demand letters, joint venture agreements, lease agreements, licenses, MOUs between SunCulture and other parties.
• Represent SunCulture in all legal disputes, negotiations, settlement of claims and proceedings that may arise in any matter in which the company has an interest
• Conduct research, monitor and advise on legislation, policy, and any litigation issue that directly or indirectly affects SunCulture
• Communicating with external attorneys to provide legal advice on the issues related to the institution’s obligations, rights, risks, and organization privileges if needed
• Collaborate with internal and external stakeholders to ensure legal compliance for the institution’s operations and legal enforcement of policies.
• Monitor compliance by the organization with the regulatory requirements prescribed by the authorities
• Support the People & Culture team on labor-related matters
• Prepare and submit cyclic compliance reports including any reports on material breaches of the regulatory requirements
• Keep custody of all SunCulture legal data and information
• Any other duties assigned from time to time.
Does This Sound Like You?
• A minimum of 5 years post-admission working experience. Experience working in a start-up environment is an added advantage.
• A degree in Law (LLB) from a recognized university.
• Current Practising Certificate.
• Experience in drafting, preparing and negotiating commercial contracts.
• Experience with legal practice in East Africa is an added advantage
• Good grasp of the application of law in a business environment.
• Good grasp of court rules and procedures, and administrative hearings.
• Excellent verbal and written communication and interpersonal skills: must be a team player; the proven ability to
communicate and liaise effectively with colleagues and third parties in an international, multicultural environment.
• Demonstrated ability to work effectively with stakeholders at all levels.